Oreo Brownies

After months of saying "I'm going to make Oreo Brownies!", I finally got around to doing so. Of course, with every first attempt, there are things you could have done differently. For me, it would be maybe use milk or plain chocolate instead of dark chocolate (but dark chocolate still tasted nice) and I would have made more of an effort to ensure the Oreo's were more evenly spread out through the brownie mix. There's always next time!

Moving on. Here's what you'll need to make Oreo brownies.

Ingredients

165g of butter
200g of dark chocolate (obviously, any type of chocolate would suffice. Who in their right mind would be fussy when it comes to chocolate?!)
3 eggs
2 egg yolks
2 tsp of vanilla extract
165g of light brown sugar
2 tbsp. of plain flour (yes, that is correct - I also thought that was a particularly small amount of flour)
1 tbsp. of cocoa powder
154g (works out as one whole packet of Oreos)
Icing sugar for dusting (although not necessary)


Method

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade/250 degrees Fahrenheit/gas mark 4. Grease and line your square baking tray - leave a little baking paper hanging over the sides to lift the brownie out at the end.

Chop or grate the chocolate into small chunks and melt together with the butter in a pan over a medium heat. There is the option to microwave the butter and the chocolate but I found it quicker to melt over the pan.

Whisk the eggs, egg yolks and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Mix in half of the sugar, whisk, then add the second half. Keep whisking until the mixture becomes a little stiffer and then add in the chocolate and the butter.

Add in the flour, the cocoa powder and two thirds of the biscuits (break them into smaller pieces) and together well. Pour the brownie mix into the baking tray, spread out evenly and scatter the remaining Oreo pieces on top of the mix and push in slightly.

Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until ever so slightly gooey in the middle. Leave to cool before pulling the brownies out of the tray and cutting into squares. You also have the option of dusting with icing sugar.

I followed the BBC recipe as my guideline. They recommend using adding salt but as salt is added to everything any way, I prefer not to add in extra. Personal preference though. Either way, I'm sure the brownies taste just as good.

Charlotte.

Comments

Popular Posts