Best Bits: August 2016

What a busy month August has been! Does anyone else find that August gets to be quite the hectic month? At least the weather has been somewhat calm and stable for the majority of the month. Can't go wrong with that! Here in 'sunny' old Guernsey, we had quite the heatwave which lasted all of three days. Truth be told, I'm actually rather looking forward to Autumn; being able to out on warmer clothes of a morning before work and knowing the likelihood of the weather warming up later that day is slim to none.

Finally having our landline and wifi installed! It so long for an engineer to actually come round! We had to wait three and a half whole weeks from when we moved in and actually getting our broadband! I know what you're thinking; why didn't we try another company. See, here in Guernsey, while we have three different landline and broadband providers, all three effectively have the installation part done by the same engineers. So basically, there was no point in changing providers as there wouldn't have been much of a difference in price nor would we have had it installed any quicker.

Cinema trips. Ever since I've been living 'out in the sticks' as everyone keeps saying, the amount of movies I've watched at the cinema is slightly worrying. I think my bank balance is starting to hate me for it... This month, I've been to watch Finding Dory with two of the girls from work, Mike And Dave Need Wedding Dates with Chloe, Nine Lives with my mum and stepdad , The Purge: a Election Week with Josh, and Bad Moms on my own. As I went to the cinema alone for that last movie, you can catch the full post here with it being on my 101 in 1001

Chloe's birthday. Despite being the youngest in our group by a good eight months, it's nice that one of us has a summer birthday. When she turned 18 last year, I had an awful dream where she had died. I woke up and grabbed my phone so I could ring her up to check in on her, only to find that she had already sent me a message and realised it was luckily only a dream. Apparently the meaning behind that dream was that it was the end of an era, as such, being that my youngest friend had then officially become an adult. Crazy how the human mind works, huh?


Pizza and wine in the sunset. I've gotten rather friendly with two of the girls from work recently so the three of us decided to make most of the good weather and go for wine at a pub along the west coast of Guernsey which has a lovely view of the sea and the sunset. We had planned on going to the chippy and taking it onto the beach but the queue for the chip shop was ridiculous so we headed to a nearby restaurant, also with a lovely view, and opted for pizzas while we watched the sun set. It soon started getting chilly so we headed inside the restaurant and had some icecream for dessert.

Ultimate Mario Marathon. Linking in with Chloe's birthday, she had us round for an Ultimate Mario Marathon as it was on my 101 in 1001 list. You can read the full post here.

Pamper evenings. He's going to hate the fact I've shared this, but Josh and I have had a couple of pamper evenings this month. I always end up feeling so much better for taking some time to actually relax. I plan to write a post about my pamper sessions soon so stay posted if you're interested.


The North Show. If you remember this post from last summer, then you'll be aware of just how many years in a row I've been. I also congratulate you if do remember it! This year marked my eighth year visiting, although it was only for the last two hours to watch the flood lite parade of the Battle of Flowers and the fireworks. We also walked around to see what there was in the way of stalls and rides. Unfortunately, we arrived to late to see the tents for the animals and the food. 


Pretty Little Liars. Chloe and I have binge watching PLL on Netflix recently. She took two weeks off for her birthday earlier this month and got so much further ahead than me. Because of this, I then booked the last week of this month off in an attempt to catch up with her. You can see my 'end of season one' review here. As of this moment, I'm currently coming towards the end of season three. 

Time off of work. It feels like forever since I've had time off of work! I mean, I've booked the odd day off here and there so far this year but one or two days isn't sufficient enough to regenerate, relax and get that much needed mojo back. Currently, as I write this post, I have this week off. Luckily for me, I only had to use four days of my holiday allowance all thanks to the lovely bank holiday Monday we had so I still have plenty left for the last couple of months left of the year that is 2016. 

So that's it for my highlights of the month. And already we're now into September! Can you believe it?! We're pretty much in Autumn now which I'm pretty happy about. Not that Guernsey has its seasons set out in the typical way - they all seem to merge into two seasons; winter and spring.

Charlotte.

Comments

Popular Posts