101 in 1001: Carve a pumpkin
I was super excited to carve a pumpkin. If I remember correctly, the last time I carved a pumpkin was way back in the early years of primary school with my gran. My grandparents were living in their old place which was located in some quiet lanes not too far from where my gran is now.
We carved it one afternoon after she had picked me up from school. I say 'we', it was more my gran carving with me hovering over her shoulder telling her how I imagined it would look in my mind. My mum and dad took me trick or treating on Halloween a few days after and we stopped off at my grandparents to see the pumpkin at night with a candle in it and I loved it.
Ever since, I have never carved a pumpkin. As I grew older, the idea of having kids knocking at my door wanting free candy never appealed to my mum and I so by not having a pumpkin sat in the doorway, we didn't get as many trick or treaters, even while living on a busy main road.
This year, however, I'm now living in a wing of a house where the main door to get in and out is only accessible from the back of the house. We are able to have our pumpkin sat in the window and escape the hassle of buying chocolate for strangers. Don't get me wrong, I love free sweets and chocolate, but when I'm the one providing it for others, I just go straight off the idea.
Having never carved a pumpkin myself and not having even the slightest bit of input in the pumpkin carving process for about 12 to 14 years, I'm not actually disappointed with my outcome. It was rather therapeutic being able to stab it, knowing that the only way I could cause injury is if I were to put my hand in line with the knife and cut myself through the pumpkin.
I plan to make pumpkin soup with the leftovers of my carvings as a Halloween themed dinner. I will also share the recipe post with you guys and let you know how well it turned out and how it went down with my food tasters.
Ever since, I have never carved a pumpkin. As I grew older, the idea of having kids knocking at my door wanting free candy never appealed to my mum and I so by not having a pumpkin sat in the doorway, we didn't get as many trick or treaters, even while living on a busy main road.
This year, however, I'm now living in a wing of a house where the main door to get in and out is only accessible from the back of the house. We are able to have our pumpkin sat in the window and escape the hassle of buying chocolate for strangers. Don't get me wrong, I love free sweets and chocolate, but when I'm the one providing it for others, I just go straight off the idea.
Having never carved a pumpkin myself and not having even the slightest bit of input in the pumpkin carving process for about 12 to 14 years, I'm not actually disappointed with my outcome. It was rather therapeutic being able to stab it, knowing that the only way I could cause injury is if I were to put my hand in line with the knife and cut myself through the pumpkin.
I plan to make pumpkin soup with the leftovers of my carvings as a Halloween themed dinner. I will also share the recipe post with you guys and let you know how well it turned out and how it went down with my food tasters.
Did you carve pumpkin this year?
Charlotte.





Comments
Post a Comment