60 Things To Do In 2015: Make After Eight cupcakes
I feel I should add in now that I don't ever follow the method in a recipe - I only use a recipe for guidance on ingredients and temperatures.
Cupcake Ingredients
175g butter
175g caster sugar
150g self-raising flower
25g coco powder
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
6 tablespoons of milk (I used semi skimmed milk)
3 medium eggs
Butter Icing Ingredients
2-3 tablespoons of milk (again, I used semi skimmed)
87g butter
165g icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
Green colouring
Method
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade/gas mark 6/fan 180 degrees centigrade/400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Start by pouring the sugar and butter in the same bowl and mixing until light and fluffy. Next, beat the eggs and mix in the peppermint extra. Slowly mix in the eggs and peppermint extra to your sugar and butter mix. Once this has been done, sieve the flour and coco powder into the rest of the mix.
Or
If you're like me, you could always just pour all of the ingredients into the same bowl and mix with an electric whisk until the mixture is light and creamy.
When the mixture is ready, equally spread it throughout the cupcake cases. This recipe should make up to 24 cakes. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes before leaving to cool.
While the cakes are cooling, you can begin to make the butter icing.
Place the butter in your bowl and sieve half of the icing sugar in and beat well. Next pour in the milk and peppermint extract and mix it in before sieving the remaining icing sugar in. Once the butter icing is light and fluffy, add in a few drops off food colouring and ensure the colour runs through all of the icing before applying it on your cupcakes.
Or
If, again, you're like me, then feel free to place all of the ingredients in the bowl and frantically mix it all until you get the correct texture and apply the icing to your cupcakes.
Last but by no means least, get out your After Eights, spilt them in half and place each piece on top of a cake!
These cupcakes went down extremely well with everyone at work. I'm sure they'll miss my cakes more than they'll miss me! Haha.
The next time I make these, I plan to crumble up some After Eights into small pieces and add them to the butter icing instead of adding peppermint extract.
Charlotte.





Comments
Post a Comment