60 Things To Do In 2015: Play crazy golf

Tom and I spent our Saturday afternoon playing crazy golf, followed by a trip to the chocolate shop where we got A LOT of fudge, and then an coastal drive.

We arrived at Oatlands Village around mid afternoon , which is home to probably the most popular crazy golf course in Guernsey. If I'm honest, I think it may be the only crazy golf course left on the island now... Oatlands is a tourist attraction aimed at families. There's a gift shop, a restaurant, a pet shop, an arts and crafts shop, jewellery shop, the Jungle House (this is so much fun - there's a monkey poster outside which you must compare height against to ensure you're within the height restriction and I'm just ever so slightly taller - basically I can get away with playing in the Jungle House because I'm so cool like that! Haha), trampolines, a skating rink (this is a new thing as it definitely wasn't there when I went last year), go karts (kiddie sized ones - you stick a pound in and drive around the course until your time runs out) and the crazy golf course.


So we began the course, I didn't have any hopes in winning this game. Any type of golf usually ends up with me using the club as a hockey stick and treating the game as a hockey match rather than a game of golf. Plus, Tom is pretty competitive. No matter what you do with a guy, if there's a chance for him to be competitive, he will!


My luck was rather slim, I must say. Hole two came up (pictured above) and you have to putt your ball between the fountain and the rocky monument but they made so awkward by putting a rock over the only gap between where you start and where you finish. My luck ran out straight after my club touched the ball as it ended up right in the middle, under the rock between the fountain and the monument. This then lead to me treating the game as a snooker match, and then back to a game of hockey after I had managed to get the ball out.


As you can probably guess, my ability to turn a calm game of crazy golf into a hockey game meant my ball ended up in the hedge a few times during the first half and of the course. This also lead to me losing overall by about 13 points... Might I just add that after hole 6, I didn't get the ball in hedge. I did, however, get the ball in the ball in the water on hole 9. That hole is a nightmare! Why would you put a stream right in the middle of the pitch and make it almost impossible to get your ball over it?! 

After our game, we headed straight for the chocolate shop which, in my opinion, sells the best fudge on the island! I got a bag of multiple square pieces of chocolate fudge, a stick of mint chocolate fudge, a stick of caramel fudge and another stick of chocolate fudge. They don't always make chocolate fudge there so whenever I go and they have some in stock I always get some. My name is Charlotte and I'm a chocoholic...

Next on the agenda came a drive around the island. Guernsey is so small you can drive around the whole coast in about an hour. You can get to your destination within a rough time 40 minutes maximum, unless you're in the rush hour traffic then there's a fat chance of getting anywhere quickly. We actually ended up visiting a friend of ours. It wasn't until we were close enough to point out that his house was coming up and how it would be funny if we just turned up. So we did. It was nice - he lent us some movies to watch over this coming week.

So anyway, back to the game in question. Crazy golf was fun. Note to self, focus on the game you're playing and stop turning things into other sports! We were lucky with the weather as it was actually quite warm! After being so cold two weeks back that I had to wear my fluffy winter socks, a jumper, my fur boats and my blanket scarf, I expect the weather to stay cold from then onwards. 

Charlotte.

Comments

Popular Posts