101 in 1001: Go indoor wall climbing

Having looked into doing indoor climbing much earlier this year with Sj, I finally gave it a go this month. The first time Sj and I enquired about climbing, we were told that the club was climbing outside. Personally, I wanted to try it inside first as I imagine that outdoor climbing is very different to indoor climbing.

So far, I've really enjoyed it. We go to the pub after every session, sometimes will have a quick bite to eat there. Each session is very good value for money; at £5 per 2 hour session, you can't go wrong! For the most part, I've gone to each session on my own and found someone else to partner up with. This wasn't so bad as I was able to mix with the regulars and learn the sport better.


The sessions alternation between two locations. We climb at the main scout hut on one day and one of the high schools on the other. Every month, the day we go to each location changes as well. I'm currently climbing in normal trainers and have found some routes would be easier if I had some proper climbing shoes so will be investing some in the not to distant future.

As for outdoor climbing, I'm still not sure if it's something I would like to try so soon. For the time being, I'm happy building up my confidence with climbing inside. However, the club do go off island to climb from time to time which is something I'd be interested in doing one day.

Charlotte.

Comments

Popular Posts