Yesterday afternoon was spent doing something I've not done for about 10 years - I made a candle! It didn't take too long to make and for the fantastic price of £8.50, I couldn't say no.
While we waited, we were given our aprons to put on, and then we were handed the base to our candle. Despite the apron being so long on me, I still managed to get wax on my leggings! Sj even managed to get some on her shoes!
Eventually, it was our turn to dip our candles in the wax. There were only four colours; white, yellow, pink and blue. I, personally, didn't use the yellow as I knew what colours I wanted and didn't want the yellow to 'ruin' it, as such. Once we'd finished dipping, our candles were hung up and any loose bit were chopped off.
We were given the choice to have the unwanted, loose wax that was cut from the bottom of the candle turned into another shape. Both Sj and I opted for a star. These were cut and left to set while we carved our candles.
Neither of our candles quite turned out how we had hoped they would. I had wanted to start mine off like the second one in from the right in the background of this photo below, but the man styled his cut without asking what design I wanted to follow. Further up the candle, the cuts just kept going wrong so I almost ran out of space for any extra designs that I may have wanted to put in.
I won't even go into too much detail about Sj's - lets just say she got a cutter stuck in her wax which took ages for ME to get and leave it at that! Haha.
Despite some parts not being cut particularly well, I'm still quite impressed with my candle, especially after not making one for about 10 years.
Once we had finished, we mooched around the gift shop before paying. The gift shop was full of lovely little things - I could have quite easily cleared the shop but my bank balance would not have been too happy with that. Instead I stuck to getting just two small things for myself - the elephant and the Laughing Buddha.
 |
|
I also picked up this cute little flower candle for my mum. All of the candles she currently has are getting low and are all your bog standard cylinder candles so I thought that this would be a nice change and it also has a summery look to it.
All in all, I'm glad I went as it was something different to what I usually do and I picked up some great items in the gift shop.
I still have the last candle I made all that time ago! It's pretty similar to the one I made yesterday with the colours used, but it would appear my ability to cut was better when I was 8...
Comments
Post a Comment