60 Things To Do In 2015: Feed a giraffe

I'm still in awe at the fact I actually was able to feed these amazing creatures! Anyone who knows me will know just how much I love giraffes! I don't what exactly it is I love about them so much...


Sj and I spent our May Bank holiday at ZSL London Zoo, and during our visit we were able to feed the giraffes. It really was great! We'd walked around the park all morning before it was time to actually feed them. 

At this zoo, they only had three female giraffes in the enclosure; Eilish, Molly and Maggie. The keeper told us about how her and the other keepers are able to tell the three apart. Eilish is the tallest, Maggie's hairs on her head and ears is fluffier than Molly's and Eilish's because she rubs her head against the bars in the giraffe house, then Molly has darker spots.

The girls were being quite stubborn to begin with and wouldn't come over for food so the keeper went and got some bamboo sticks for us to coax them over with. I wasn't expecting the giraffes to eat as strong as they as they did, so I was stood holding the bamboo nice and calmly when all of a sudden Molly came over and almost dragged me into the enclosure with her! 


Once all of the leaves and the good branches had gone, we started feeding them carrots. We only managed to give them a few before one of them got spooked by something and they ran off. We then moved into the giraffe house where we continued to feed them. At this point, Molly had enough so didn't come in for anymore food so instead Eilish decided she did actually want some food so took Molly's place as such.



This experience was incredible! It's right up there with seeing Diversity live last year, being one of the best things I've done!

Charlotte.

Comments

Popular Posts